How do I renew my SSL certificate
Everything you need to know about certificate renewal
Since you're on this page, it's likely that your SSL certificate is about to expire. However, there's nothing to worry about. Renewing an SSL certificate is simple. All you have to do is purchase a new SSL certificate and let us handle the rest!
Read on for a step-by-step guide on how to renew an SSL certificate and some answers to frequently asked questions on the subject.
How to Renew an SSL Certificate
- Create a new CSR.
- Go to your existing account and select the Renew SSL link.
- From the products page, select the SSL certification you want to renew.
- If you don't get the Renew page, you can simply select the necessary product and then sign into your account.
- If you purchased the SSL certificate from a reseller, contact that specific reseller.
- Once your request for renewal is approved, the certificate is sent to your email address.
- Install your renewed certificate properly and verify it. Once it's confirmed that the renewed certificate has been installed, you can go ahead and uninstall your old certificate.
- Create a backup of the old certificate and remove it.
FAQ: Renewing an SSL Certificate
I'm an existing customer. How do I renew my SSL certificate? Log into your existing account, select the Renew option and follow the instructions.
I'm not an existing customer. How do I renew my SSL certificate? Shop for an SSL certificate online and select the product. When generating your CSR, select that it's for renewal and create your account.
How long does it take to renew the SSL certificate? Domain Validated Certificates can be renewed within a few minutes. Organization Validation and Extended Validation Certificates take up to two days for renewal.
Do I have to go through the validation process again? If you have changed your business information or other vital details or if you're changing your Certificate Authority, you'll have to go through the validation process again. However, if your details are the same and you're continuing with the same authority — and if your certificate hasn't yet expired — you don't need to go through the process again.
Do I need to immediately install the new SSL certificate after renewal? Yes, in order for the site to use the correct certificate, you need to install the SSL certificate immediately after renewal since the dates will be coded into it.
Is it possible to simply extend the dates on my current certificate? Expiration dates are hard-coded into certificates so they cannot be extended. As such, the process of renewal really entails buying a new certificate altogether using the information that was provided earlier.
Is generation of a new CSR really important? Some server types — like Apache — don't require you to generate a new CSR for installing a new certificate. However, most server types, including Windows Servers, Tomcat Servers, and Java-Based Servers, require you to generate a new CSR before submitting a renewal request.